I searched the world over for missing Entry #5. It was here — at the tips of my fingers — Monday, September 16. But, then it slipped through my grasp. As I went through the week, I looked. But, prepping kids for school, household responsibilities, social time with girlfriends, and after-school commitments compromised my focus. Today — Monday, September 23 — will be different.
Do you know moments like this? It’s been months since writing a blog post. Writing a random thought or word about life is due. Heck. But, since it’s been so long; writing this post is almost awkward. It’s a similar feeling I have when finally making the decision to get in touch with a close family member or friend I have put off calling.
So, instead of discussing my multitude of excuses for not writing; I am just going to say hello and move forward. In the coming days and weeks, I plan on changing things up at kateschannel. Life changes; and so it is time for my blog to do so as well.
I hope all of you have been well; and that you’re preparing for a summer of hot fun in the sunshine. Take care.
For two weeks I have battled a case of winter snark. Despite an appearance of happiness, peace and goodwill my inner voice continues to have more snark as the winter days linger on. Last night, the snark would not shut up. I was trying to fall asleep. It kept listing one complaint after another. Finally, I demanded silence.
While I am not anywhere close to being snark-free, I stopped living in denial last night. I admitted to having winter snark and signed myself up for a self-imposed, five-step recovery program.
2. Girlfriend time puts winter snark in its place: out in the cold where it belongs. Without fuel, the snark does not have energy to thrive.
3. Exercise is my number-one defense against any kind of snark: winter, cleaning, marital, parenting, alcohol shortage, etc. Fitness is a natural outlet for all negativity to escape. Too bad this doesn’t work while I’m driving. Sign language isn’t enough.
4. Writing is my second line of defense. Again, it is another method I use to relieve stress. Once I write it, it’s no longer a burden. I may still need to resolve a problem. But, I no longer feel it clouding my thoughts. Somehow, I achieve clarity on the direction I should take.
5. Attack action item list, which is always growing. After crossing items off, I felt accomplishment, not dread from excuses for not “doing.”
Related post …
Love the posts from Limebird Writers. They are always relevant and make me think about how to improve my writing. This one is about character development.
Time is never time at all
You can never ever leave without leaving a piece of youth
And our lives are forever changed
We will never be the same
The more you change the less you feel
Believe, believe in me, believe
That life can change, that you’re not stuck in vain
We’re not the same, we’re different tonight
Tonight, so bright
One selection from many I love from Smashing Pumpkins. It is among those on my MP3, which is always with me on runs and walks.
- Billy Corgan Smashing Pumpkins Speaks Out Against the NWO (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Smashing Pumpkins ‘Mellon Collie’ Reissue Could Feature 75 Previously Unreleased Songs (loudwire.com)
Purple Haze was in my brain,
lately things don’t seem the same,
actin’ funny but I don’t know why
‘scuse me while I kiss the sky.
— Jimi Hendrix
I don’t know about you. But, for me, summer just wouldn’t sound the same without listening to legendary guitar riffs from Jimi Hendrix. His lyrics and melodies always make it easier to wait for some delicious ribs to smoke up all hot and tasty on the grill.
Enjoy your time soaking up the sunshine with family and friends as the U.S.A approaches its celebration of independence on July 4. Temps. north of the “D” are approaching 100 this weekend, which calls for plenty of Hendrix tunes, ice-cold Bell’s Oberon and something cool to splash in.
- Bonus Post: Lyric Status Friday – Be Good to Yourself (kateschannel.wordpress.com)
- Bonus Post: Lyric Status Friday – School’s Out (kateschannel.wordpress.com)
- “Purple Haze” (greatamericanthings.net)
Since Mama’s Empty Nest takes the top slot with her Wordless Wednesday posts, I figured I would take a stab at a One-Word Wednesday series. Jamie Taylor, a long-time college friend and extraordinary photojournalist inspired the idea on Facebook this morning. He challenged all of his peeps to describe their Wednesday is just one word. So, here is mine … chaotic.